- Mission statement
- Our values
- Key figures
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- Altran Foundation for Innovation
- Altran and Solar Impulse
- Official engineering partner
- Altran guides Solar Impulse
- Altran experts' contributions
- Behind the scenes of the Solar Impulse missions
- THE i PROJECT
- Altran in the world
Maurizio Babbo - Altran Expert for Strategy & Flight Forecast
I’ve joined the Strategy and Flight Forecast system in December 2015.
In this unit, we receive a lot of inputs and requests from Planning Engineers, ATC experts and meteorologists. We also run simulations with Platoo (Planning Tool) - developed by Stephane and Christophe – which allows us to find out opportunities to fly. Then, we adjust the whole flight strategy (route, timing, altitude…), taking into account mission requirements and constrains, such as:
- - Weather conditions: cloudiness, rain, temperature, wind;
- - ATC (Air Traffic Control) restrictions: min/max or mandatory altitude, forced waypoints;
- - Altitude of the terrain below the Aircraft;
- - Battery state of charge: init value, min value during the flight, max value at the end of the flight;
- - Comfort of the pilot: in terms of the use of the oxygen, related to the flight altitude;
- - Flight duration, to avoid tiredness for the pilot and to decrease the consumption of the -battery.
It’s an iterative process. We do it day-by-day, looking at the meteo update and hoping for a good weather forecast. During the flight, our aim is to anticipate maximum of events, computing continuously actualization of main route, alternate routes, etc.