A collaborative project to develop and industrialize a new, complete, and integrated digital ecosystem for industrial & manufacturing environments.
Creating digital copies of physical products or facilities allows for improved design considerations, real-time status transparency, greater visibility into parts and the balancing of production to quickly respond to supply chain disruptions as they occur.
However, getting digital twins up and running and generating value needs management discipline, including:
- A clear vision of the expected business benefits and a realistic assessment of the costs involved
- A profound knowledge of the industry use case and operating domain
- Technology strategy and architecture that can be scaled to meet diverse requirements
- An understanding of new human-machine interfaces to drive new ways of working
A COLLABORATIVE PROJECT
To address these challenges, Airbus & Roche are collaborating with Altran on a common project called VIMS, a Virtual IoT Maintenance System. The VIMS project consists in developing and industrializing a new, complete, and integrated digital ecosystem for industrial & manufacturing environments.
The core of the VIMS system combines an IIOT (Industrial Internet of Things) platform with a digital twin of the factory or production line.
DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION APPROACH
The VIMS project develops a complete approach to factory digital transformation including:
- LEAN based analysis to identify use cases and associated requirements
- Development of Hyperconnectivity between operators, machines and systems
- Transformation of data into information according to business intelligence and clients insights
- Creation of visual and interactive HMI to enhance user experience of information
PROJECT ADDED VALUE
The Digital Twin yields a fully immersive and bi-directional experience in the factory or production line thanks to Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality technologies.
Operators, engineers and managers will be able to receive and experience the relevant information about the production process even at a different location; in addition, they will be able to control remotely the manufacturing and maintenance processes via the digital twin.
Moreover, several vertical business applications shall be implemented leveraging the core of the VIMS system. These applications are intended to address particular production and maintenance challenges namely:
- Advanced operation and maintenance solutions (monitorization system in real-time, predictive maintenance, asset tracking and optimized inventory)
- Advanced AR/VR solutions (virtual training, operative guidance, remote assistance and pathfinding)
KEY RELATED PROJECTS
PoC DIGITAL TWIN OF A REAL OFFSHORE WINDFARM
Altran has developed a proof of concept of a digital twin of a real offshore windfarm allowing our client to access real-time data & high detail visualization of the wind turbines and auxiliary systems providing a better understanding of the operation problems & the conditions of the machines.
DIGITALIZATION OF THE AIRBUS FACTORY IN PUERTO REAL
Altran leveraged its deep expertise in manufacturing 4.0 to create a fully immersive virtual environment of a real factory where intelligent sensors (SenseForge) harvest data from different machines, performing analytics to detect status and failures. IoT platform (VueForge), collects information coming from Industrial Intelligence Systems and SenseForge and then displayed on real time dash-boarding in the virtual environment, allowing the capacity to deploy an early warning system through analytics at plant level. Virtual reality is used for training purpose (maintenance training) and as a remote control platform being able to move robotic arm in remote.
Digitalization of the Airbus factory in Puerto Real
Altran Innovation Center for Advanced Manufacturing